Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wandering in Socotra!

Wandering in Socotra, a UNESCO protected island paradise. The island is officially part of Yemen.

After my extensive tour of the mainland Yemen, I flew into Socotra with Felix Airlines. The flight was less than 3 hours. Abdullah, my guide came to pick me up with 2 of his friends/assistants. I couldn't have asked for a better person to show me around and would love to go back again to this lovely island. We have kept in touch....thanks to social media. I consider him my friend, my brother. Inshallah, we will meet again!

Straight from the airport we drive to Ayhaft National Park. The drive itself is simply awesome and you could see loads of these endemic plants....at the end of which we reach the Canyon. The view from here is simply spectacular. There's the fresh water pool and all around tamarind trees! You could swim or just soak yourself in it.



Then we drive down to Detwah lagoon a marine protected area. From up in the mountains you could see this view which is truly magical....white sandy stretches of sand surrounded by turquoise water. On the way....saw some rusted old tanks parked by the mountainside perhaps to ward off any intruders?!




I stayed at a local funduk (simple eco lodge) in Deilisha Beach. I could have stayed in a modest hotel in town but I chose the former. You can see from the picture....it was really simple, bare...but for some reason I was not scared spending the night there. It had a flimsy door with no latch. Was I foolish to have taken the risk? I don't know. I didn't feel it that way at all. I was the only occupant of the few funduks there!


Abdullah showing me my funduk!


Yes, that's the door I am talking about!

After enjoying a good typical Socotran lunch at Deilisha we went to Dihamri, a marine protected site. This is one of the best diving and snorkeling spots and is home to one of the richest coral reefs of the archipelago. I think due to the coral reef....the whole area isSaw some baby eagles!


Dihamri Beach








Baby Egyptian vulture

Then to Arher Beach where a fresh creek comes out and meets the sea. The massive sand dunes is a sight to behold. We hang around just chilling....


Arher Beach .... and there's the fresh creek.


Abdullah running down the massive dune!


Later we drove down to Homhil another protected area rich with Dragon's Blood Trees, Bottle Trees, Desert Rose, Frankincense Trees. 


Homhill Protected Area


Dragon's Blood Trees! Legend has it the dragon’s blood tree first grew on the spot where two brothers Darsa and Samha fought to the death. In Arabic it is known as dam al akhawain – “the blood of the two brothers”.

The unique tree with its unique crown of leaves is a beloved symbol of the island of Socotra and its parent country Yemen.



Abdullah showing me the red resin....dragon's blood!


Being a Goat (Capricornian!) couldn't resist taking a photo of the Yemeni Goat! :)


Kids selling the Dragon's Blood resin. I bought some too!


Desert Rose

All in all it's been such an adventurous day. Away from the madness of a big city....the quite island...is such a contrast......but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment