Saturday, January 11, 2014

Touring Sana'a, Thula & Shibam


My birthday was coming up and I thought to myself how wonderful it would be to spend my day in a new country amongst new people! With that, a trip to Yemen took place in my mind. And before long, I was talking to the Agents, booking my flight tickets and trying to organise my visa.

When I told some of my friends about my upcoming trip, the immediate question was "Why Yemen?"If one was to listen to all these travel warnings, one would not visit Yemen but if one only talked to a traveler who has been there recently, one would probably get ready to visit the place. I personally did not feel the danger at any time. The Government would not allow a Foreigner to travel to places where they deemed it not safe I'm told.

11th Jan, I flew into Sana'a from Dubai via Emirates reaching about 8.50am. First I met the guy who got the original visa and he welcomed me with a big smile. Next he guided me to my Driver and the Guide who would be with me throughout my 4 days in Yemen. I was whisked straight from the airport to the Yemini countryside. The first place I saw was the impressive Rock Palace of the Imam ( Dar Al Hajar). Perched on top of a rock it is pretty awesome and the view from the top of the countryside all around...the wadi is beautiful.


Then onwards to Thula one of the best preserved village in the Kawkaban region. A walk through the village was accompanied by constant "Welcome", "How are you?" and with delightful screams from the children shouting "Surra" which means photo in arabic spying my camera. The Yeminis men and the children loved to be photographed! The typical characteristics in these houses were that the stones were cemented together with mud and their characteristic painting of the windows & the edges in white.




The red houses of Shibam in Kawkaban.


Then drive back to Sana'a, capital of Yemen....and it was to Old Sana'a that we headed back to. The old city has a distinctive visual character due to its unique architectural characteristics and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.



The 1000 years old Bal Al-Yemen (Gate of Yemen) at the centre of the old city.


Inside the local souk...one of the shops. The way the shop-keeper had arranged his goods was fascinating!


For the night I stayed at a lovely quaint hotel with a typical Yemeni character.




At the end of Day 1, all I can say is that I love the country Yemen...literally Ye-Men! 'cause I hardly saw any women! No complains as the men were all so friendly! And did I mention that come afternoon and most of them had progressed to chewing Qat? Well, that's going to be one whole complete post on this favourite pastime of the Yeminis...chewing Qat!

No comments:

Post a Comment