Saturday, January 18, 2014

Wandering in Hadibo

My last day at the island, after breakfast we head towards Hadibo (the capital).....see the local market...perhaps do some shopping for souvenirs before Abdullah takes me back to the Airport to catch my flight back home.

One evening Abdullah even takes me to a pre-wedding ceremony of a bride to be. I was so touched by all the warm welcome that I got from the ladies. Yes, it was women only. Abdullah dropped me at the door!

In all my wandering here in Yemen....I have hardly come across any women outside. It was the same in Hadibo town. However I did not feel any evil eye on me!

I went to a small shop selling head scarves amongst other things. In arabic, head scarves are called Shemagh or Ghutra or Kufiya depending which Gulf country. I chose 2....one typical Omani design and the other Arabic, black & white houndstooth pattern.....but Abdullah wouldn't allow me to pay for it. He did. Said it was a gift! How generous of him. I am so truly touched by the generosity I see all around here.


Men everywhere.......but they were so friendly!




A Socotran making bread (Kuboos)


Some colourful trunks



Lunch time!


A goat polishing off some crumbs on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment