Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Gangtok!

The trip to Gangtok was more than I asked for! Even though I was down with a severe cold...running nose, cough! cough!! I really enjoyed my trip along with Sophie, my travelling companion/friend from France! I also got to meet few of my friends from college days and the re-union dinner which my friends hosted took me by surprise!

Gangtok is the capital of the mountainous north eastern state of Sikkim in India. After the British rule, it existed as an independent monarchy but joined India in 1975.

Just wandering around Gangtok....visiting some monasteries and catching up with friends.


River Teesta which flows through Sikkim


Gangtok by night!


Early morning town view from my friend's terrace.


Happy Losoong! (This is the Sikkimese New Year, of the Bhutia tribe.)


Winter Carnival - Dancers



Sikkim Chief Minister Chamling with the Sikkimese actress who also is the Brand Ambassador for the Winter Carnival. (Don't know her name though!)


A Sikkimese Lepcha man with a typical hat.


Changlo Chen Hotel where my friends took me for dinner!


Wall decor in the restaurant


"Thukpa" Tibetan Noodle Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment