Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Nelson Mandela......towered over me too!

In 2007 when I travelled to South Africa, while in Johannnesburg, I got to visit the Nelson Mandela Square in Sandton City. And of course as you can see, the old man towered over me too! Nelson Mandela's life story is one of inevitable triumph. He was a symbol of struggle for justice, equality & dignity not only in South Africa but around the world. He will be truly missed.


Coming so far, I had to see Robben Island, an island Internationally known for the fact that Nobel Laureate and Former President of South Africa Nelson Mandela was imprisoned here. So I flew to Cape Town and from the harbour took the boat to the island....Robben Island. 

Nelson Mandela was on this island for 18 out of the 27 years he was imprisoned. Seeing the tiny cell where he lived and the stone quarry where he had to work come rain or shine.....it was truly a humbling experience.

Robben Island Prison Entrance

The Prison

The Stone Quarry

Nelson Mandela's cell




No comments:

Post a Comment